January 22, 2010Posted by lmblainc in Uncategorized.
On January 11th, 2010, the City of Bedford kicked off the first step in the comprehensive planning process by hosting the first of two public visioning workshops. Over 75 citizens worked together to identify Bedford’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. The following is an excerpt of what ideas were identified:
Strengths of the City-
- Natural resources
- Low crime rate
- Strong sense of community
Weaknesses of the City-
- High percentage of poverty
- Lack of diverse employment opportunities
- Poor public image
Opportunities created by strengths to address the City’s weaknesses-
- Develop a “business incubator” to support/mentor new businesses during the startup process to induce the creation of more local jobs.
- Tap into the Rails to Trails Program or the Safe Routes to School Program to create more sidewalks and trails for the city
Threats that may prevent projects and ideas to be implemented-
- Lack of funding
- Lack of accountability
- Resistance to change
With the phenomenal turnout of the first workshop, Mayor Girgis has high hopes to have another great turnout at the Second Public Visioning Workshop which will be held February 10th, at the Oakland City University Bedford Campus (located at 405 “I” Street) between 1:00 and 3:00pm. The second workshop will be the final step in defining the Future Vision of Bedford.